Core Tasks Include:
- Prepare, or direct the preparation of, product or system layouts and detailed drawings and schematics.
- Inspect marine equipment and machinery to draw up work requests and job specifications.
- Conduct analytical, environmental, operational, or performance studies to develop designs for products, such as marine engines, equipment, and structures.
- Design and oversee testing, installation, and repair of marine apparatus and equipment.
- Prepare plans, estimates, design and construction schedules, and contract specifications, including any special provisions.
- Investigate and observe tests on machinery and equipment for compliance with standards.
- Coordinate activities with regulatory bodies to ensure repairs and alterations are at minimum cost, consistent with safety.
- Conduct environmental, operational, or performance tests on marine machinery and equipment.
- Prepare technical reports for use by engineering, management, or sales personnel.
- Maintain contact with, and formulate reports for, contractors and clients to ensure completion of work at minimum cost.
- Evaluate operation of marine equipment during acceptance testing and shakedown cruises.
- Analyze data to determine feasibility of product proposals.
- Determine conditions under which tests are to be conducted, as well as sequences and phases of test operations.
- Procure materials needed to repair marine equipment and machinery.
- Confer with research personnel to clarify or resolve problems and to develop or modify designs.
- Review work requests and compare them with previous work completed on ships to ensure that costs are economically sound.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Act as liaisons between ships' captains and shore personnel to ensure that schedules and budgets are maintained, and that ships are operated safely and efficiently.
- Perform monitoring activities to ensure that ships comply with international regulations and standards for life saving equipment and pollution preventatives.
- Check, test, and maintain automatic controls and alarm systems.
- Supervise other engineers and crewmembers and train them for routine and emergency duties.
- Maintain and coordinate repair of marine machinery and equipment for installation on vessels.
- Maintain records of engineering department activities, including expense records and details of equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Schedule machine overhauls and the servicing of electrical, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, water, and sewage systems.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.