Civil Engineering Technicians
Core Tasks Include:
- Draft detailed dimensional drawings and design layouts for projects and to ensure conformance to specifications.
- Calculate dimensions, square footage, profile and component specifications, and material quantities using calculator or computer.
- Read and review project blueprints and structural specifications to determine dimensions of structure or system and material requirements.
- Confer with supervisor to determine project details such as plan preparation, acceptance testing, and evaluation of field conditions.
- Inspect project site and evaluate contractor work to detect design malfunctions and ensure conformance to design specifications and applicable codes.
- Develop plans and estimate costs for installation of systems, utilization of facilities, or construction of structures.
- Prepare reports and document project activities and data.
- Respond to public suggestions and complaints.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Report maintenance problems occurring at project site to supervisor and negotiate changes to resolve system conflicts.
- Evaluate facility to determine suitability for occupancy and square footage availability.
- Analyze proposed site factors and design maps, graphs, tracings, and diagrams to illustrate findings.
- Plan and conduct field surveys to locate new sites and analyze details of project sites.
- Conduct materials test and analysis using tools and equipment and applying engineering knowledge.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.