Core Tasks Include:
- Adjust and operate surveying instruments such as prisms, theodolites, and electronic distance-measuring equipment.
- Perform calculations to determine earth curvature corrections, atmospheric impacts on measurements, traverse closures and adjustments, azimuths, level runs, and placement of markers.
- Record survey measurements and descriptive data using notes, drawings, sketches, and inked tracings.
- Search for section corners, property irons, and survey points.
- Position and hold the vertical rods, or targets, that theodolite operators use for sighting to measure angles, distances, and elevations.
- Lay out grids, and determine horizontal and vertical controls.
- Compare survey computations with applicable standards to determine adequacy of data.
- Set out and recover stakes, marks, and other monumentation.
- Direct and supervise work of subordinate members of surveying parties.
- Conduct surveys to ascertain the locations of natural features and man-made structures on the Earth's surface, underground, and underwater using electronic distance-measuring equipment and other surveying instruments.
- Compile information necessary to stake projects for construction, using engineering plans.
- Prepare topographic and contour maps of land surveyed, including site features and other relevant information such as charts, drawings, and survey notes.
- Place and hold measuring tapes when electronic distance-measuring equipment is not used.
- Collect information needed to carry out new surveys using source maps, previous survey data, photographs, computer records, and other relevant information.
- Operate and manage land-information computer systems, performing tasks such as storing data, making inquiries, and producing plots and reports.
- Run rods for benches and cross-section elevations.
- Perform manual labor, such as cutting brush for lines, carrying stakes, rebar, and other heavy items, and stacking rods.
- Maintain equipment and vehicles used by surveying crews.
- Provide assistance in the development of methods and procedures for conducting field surveys.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.