Core Tasks Include:
- Use radiation safety measures and protection devices to comply with government regulations and to ensure safety of patients and staff.
- Review and evaluate developed x-rays, video tape, or computer-generated information to determine if images are satisfactory for diagnostic purposes.
- Position imaging equipment and adjust controls to set exposure time and distance, according to specification of examination.
- Explain procedures and observe patients to ensure safety and comfort during scan.
- Key commands and data into computer to document and specify scan sequences, adjust transmitters and receivers, or photograph certain images.
- Operate or oversee operation of radiologic or magnetic imaging equipment to produce images of the body for diagnostic purposes.
- Position and immobilize patient on examining table.
- Record, process, and maintain patient data or treatment records and prepare reports.
- Take thorough and accurate patient medical histories.
- Remove and process film.
- Set up examination rooms, ensuring that all necessary equipment is ready.
- Monitor patients' conditions and reactions, reporting abnormal signs to physician.
- Coordinate work with clerical personnel or other technologists.
- Provide assistance in dressing or changing seriously ill, injured, or disabled patients.
- Demonstrate new equipment, procedures, or techniques to staff and provide technical assistance.
Supplemental Tasks Include:
- Collaborate with other medical team members, such as physicians or nurses, to conduct angiography or special vascular procedures.
- Prepare and administer oral or injected contrast media to patients.
- Monitor video display of area being scanned and adjust density or contrast to improve picture quality.
- Operate fluoroscope to aid physician to view and guide wire or catheter through blood vessels to area of interest.
- Assign duties to radiologic staff to maintain patient flows and achieve production goals.
- Perform scheduled maintenance or minor emergency repairs on radiographic equipment.
- Perform administrative duties, such as developing departmental operating budget, coordinating purchases of supplies or equipment, or preparing work schedules.
- Measure thickness of section to be radiographed, using instruments similar to measuring tapes.
The data sources for the information displayed here include: O*NET™ 16.0.